E. Clarke, who'd been a practicing pharmacist in Providence
since about 1860, went off to the Civil War in 1862. In 1863
he mustered out and returned to Providence where he married
Emma Mason and went back into the pharmacy business.
1864, he was operating an apothecary shop located at 233 South
Main Street in Providence. Within three years he had moved to
28 Market Square selling medicines, perfumery, and the usual
toiletries of the time.
short time later he opened a second shop located at the corner
of Broad and Mathewson Streets.
1872, Clarke closed the Broad Street shop, but kept the Market
Square store operating for seven or eight more years until 1880.
ran this company from 1872 until 1885, all the while manufacturing
his own CLARKE'S INFALLIBLE EYE WASH, CLARKE'S TOOTHACHE DROPS,
and CLARKE'S FLORENTINE DENTRIFICE as well as HUNT'S (Kidney)
1882, Clarke was joined by another registered pharmacist, Edward
R. Dawley, who, after working for Clarke for several years,
became the company's secretary in 1884. A year later Dawley
became proprietor of the company and moved the business to 112
South Water Street. Clarke completely sold out to Dawley in
1886, and became an agent for the Eagle Machine Company, 288
Dyer Avenue, but after only a year quit to work at the Quaker
Medicine Company, 6 South Water Street. Clarke remained there
until 1891 when he left to become the City Clerk in Providence.
continued to run the Hunt's Remedy Co., relocating again in
1894 to 451 South Main Street. By 1903 he had quit the business
and became a city collector until his death in 1906.